Saturday, April 29, 2006

Playing in a Foreign Place

Last sunday was the 1st time I played a match for Monash University Soccer Club. Just before you say: Wah! So zai ah! can play for school! Hold your compliments. The soccer club actually has a number of teams, 5 to be exact. And they rank from the most zai to the most chapalang 1.
So i'm actually playing for the 4ths or the 5ths(depending on which team has a lack of players), which are the chapalang teams.

Anyway, the match was an away 1 so we had to travel to the other side of Melbounre. It took me a good 1hour plus before I reached the place. On my way to the pitch, I encountered something familiar. The Marist emblem. I was intrigued. In the end, it turned out to be a college founded by the same founder of Maris Stella back home, St Marcellin Champagnat. The college is named after him - Marcellin College. Took a stroll around the compound of the school and found it to be strikingly similar to MSHS. This sudden and unexpected discovery brought back a surge of nostalgia. How I miss playing with the Marist people in McLucky! We may be chapalang but we sure had fun!


Back to the match... I was allocated the position of centre-back by the coach, ironically a Singaporean who supports Liverpool. It has been a long time since I played that position and I took awhile to get back my defender's instinct. The match started with a welcome bang given to me by the opposing striker. I was chasing to clear a loose ball with the striker, a big fat-ass (bigger than Siu's!) bearing down on me. I got my foot to the ball and the next thing I knew I was flying through the air! What a welcome!

The 1 big difference with the game over here is that it is much more physical. So Kenny's wise old advice of 'use your body!' must always be taken seriously. As the game flowed on, with us having the upper hand most of the times, we took the lead through a deflected goal off a shot by 1 of the midfielders. Half-time ended as that - 1-nil to us.

In the second half, we started more brightly and scored a second. 2-nil and we looked to be cruising. Unfortunately, we conceded a goal with 20min to go with the defence failing to cut off a cross from the wing. This left us with a nervy ending but we managed to pull through and grab a precious victory.

I was satisfied by my own game but there is definitely much more room for improvement. My partner in defence seems to be a much more experienced lao jiao. Someone in the mould of Gareth Southgate. And there are many things to be learnt from him.

my foreign team mates in Monash Uni Soccer Club 4ths and 5ths

I am glad to be playing matches again... At least it reduces the itch in my feet. But somehow it is just not the same as playing with my Mc Lucky team mates. How I miss those weekends! Cannot wait to get back to the pitch with you all...

3 Comments:

At 10:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding your blog about chelsea fc badge. The best site for chelsea fc badge is **http://www.freepremiership.com**. http://www.freepremiership.com is the top free osccer website in the world and features the latest Premiership club news, fixtures, scores, scorers, radio streams, tv streams and lots more football links.

 
At 4:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.





Hi matey and blog buddies, enjoyed the blog most interesting. Not sure how well you are doing in driving more traffic to your blog but If you are interested in promoting your site and getting more visitors (aren't we all??) I would definitely recommend the free Link Referral Program.

I have a website featuring photo ringo share amongst other stuff and after trying every seo software/program on the net I got tipped off by an IT techi mate that the Link Referral Program was the best - more importantly it's free!!

The signup process was quick and before long my hits increased dramatically. Consequently my affiliate sales commissions and business sales went through the roof PLUS my website increased in google ranking which was an added bonus!!

If you didn't need this advice then I am sorry but you did have anonymous posting enabled on your blog. If anyone else has any good ideas for driving more traffic to blogs/websites then please share with your online business blog buddies. Ta ;-)










.

 
At 9:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.





Hi matey

I'm sure it was this blog I was reading a while back where someone was looking for an SEO tool for driving more traffic and get more hits for their website.

Anyway, I was speaking to a techi guy at work who gets to know all the latest stuff and he uses the free Link Referral Program.

His website on ebay golf amongst other stuff has seen traffic explode since he started using the Link Referral Program - consequently his affiliate sales commissions and business sales went through the roof PLUS his website increased in google ranking which was an added bonus!!

If anyone else has any good ideas for driving more traffic to blogs/websites then please share with your online business blog buddies. Ta ;-)










.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home