Sunday, April 01, 2007

Life's Little Ironies

'What?! You're going back to KL? Are you a bloody fool or what?!' these words rang loud and clear in my head. It wasn't just him that said it. It seemed that the whole world was mouthing the same words in perfect cohesion. But all I could think of was ' Why not?'

I was set on making the switch. For reasons that my head and heart were well aware of. It seemed that proximity to my love one, friends and family was the ultimate factor that drove me back. I didn't want to miss out on the family functions and the weekly gatherings with my marist brothers. And of course I didn't want my little princess to be left all alone again. Once you lose these young, golden years of your life, you would never get them back again. I don't want to look back at my younger days in the future, when I'm old and haggard, with a tinge of regret at not spending enough time with the people who mean the world to me. Somethings, you've to admit, can only be done when you're young and carefree. And I wanted to make sure that I seized all opportunities that came by my way.

My heart gave a good account of itself. However, it was not the only one speaking. Only half the story was told.

My head said that it would be a good option as well and continued...

For one, I would save my parents a substantial amount of money. Although they insist that money is not an issue with them, I still feel better knowing that they have more cash at their disposal to spend. Ma and Pa have been working hard a good part of their lives and it is time that they start to relax and enjoy life's pleasures. A little bit of spare cash would certainly come in handy. Next, I don't need to elaborate on the countless similarities that Malaysia and Singapore share in terms of their population, climate and the prevalence of diseases. That would give me a sneak preview of the experience that I would have in the future. The cohort size in Malaysia is also much smaller, allowing greater flexibility and attention given to the students. Lectures would be more intimate and interaction between students and lecturer can flow freely. Tutorials would be more enjoyable as you know everyone in the group. I would also have the opportunity to learn Bahasa Melayu. At least when the abangs and mak ciks communicate in their mother tongue back home, I wouldn't be scratching my head cluelessly. Quality would not be compromised as well. If the AMC is willing to put it's reputation on the chopping block and give the course the honour of being the 1st overseas-accreditated medical degree, things shouldn't go too wrong.

My stomach also chipped in with it's 2 cents' worth. Food glorious food! Cheap and good food would be a luxury that I can enjoy. Not to mention that it is avaible 24 hours a day with the mamak shop just a short walk away.

Indeed, it seemed like a perfect option.

Just that 3 things stood in the way. The fact that I was on the wrong continent. The fact that the Malaysian degree has not been recognised by Singapore yet and that the 2 countries have enjoyed a love-hate relationship with each other. The fact that the whole wide world, lest my love one, disagreed with me.

Still, you only live life once so you'd better go all out to get what you want and believe in. Even if you're against the flow.

The accreditation issue was very much in my mind. But there's still a way out. A review will be made again at the end of the year regarding SMC's decision and I will have options opened up for me to take again. That would be a time to sit down and think again.

My head was set. My heart was fixed. My stomach was growling. Pa and Ma reluctantly gave their support. Friends expressed astonishment first, and well-wishes later.

Days after, arrangements were made. I would be in KL to embark on the second week of school.

What a week that was. Singapore to Melbourne to Singapore to KL. A merry-go-round. One of life's little ironies perhaps?

A little irony with a happy ending.

2 Comments:

At 8:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Universiti Malaya and UKM are both accepted already. how come yours will have problem getting accepted?

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Chern said...

I guess it's because the medical school in Monash Malaysia is in it's first year of operation. So the big shots back home want to be cautious and monitor the situation first before making a decision? Well, that's what I came up with. Not exactly sure what's going on behind the scenes to be honest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home